Epoch Times, Singapore Edition (Issue 492, August 8 – August 21, 2014)
By Ang Xue Er
This year, the National Day Parade (NDP) that marks Singapore’s 49th birthday on Aug 9 will once again be held at the Marina Bay Floating Platform.
To celebrate this significant day, fireworks will light up the sky of Marina Bay against the backdrop of Singapore’s Central Business District.
Why do we celebrate National Day? The question sounds clichéd, but have you ever wondered why? After all, it has been revealed in a Sept 11, 2012 report in The Straits Times that the cost of the NDP has more than trebled in a decade, reaching S$17.2 million in 2011.
That said, one should never neglect our little red dot’s birthday because, well, we are Singaporeans!
Below are nine gems about our little red dot that give us a sense of belonging:
1. Singlish lor!
2. Illness, no fear, thanks to our efficient healthcare system and spontaneous response to emergencies.
3. NEWater to the rescue, the solution to Singapore’s water sustainability, allowing us to depend less on our neighbours.
4. Singapore = Food. Gobble up mouth-watering varieties of delicacies a stone’s throw away, wherever you are.
5. Always on good terms with other countries, peace and safety is Singapore’s priority.
6. Perfect geographical location, protecting us from practically all natural disasters.
7. One for all, all for one. We are multiracial and multicultural (who can forget our ‘gotong royong’ spirit), and have been more civically engaged over the years – arguable, yes, but at least we are speaking out more now.
8. Changi Airport! Having claimed over 450 awards, it is undeniable that our airport is one of the world’s best.
9. We are our country’s resource. Every Singaporean is of utmost importance to the sustainability and growth of Singapore – not just economically, but culturally and spiritually.
Happy 49th birthday, Singapore! We wish you many more successful years to come.
To read Epoch Times, Singapore Edition– http://printarchive.epochtimes.com/a1/en/region.php?dir=sg/nnn
Website – http://www.theepochtimes.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/EpochTimesSingapore
Twitter – https://twitter.com/EpochTimesSg
Pinterest – http://www.pinterest.com/eetsingapore/